I am a computer science PhD student at the University of Cambridge (Clare Hall College). I am working on machine learning, under the supervision of Dr Sean Holden, and you can find me in the Computer Laboratory where I am part of the Artificial Intelligence group.
I am currently being supported by an Individual Doctoral Grant – SFRH/BD/88466/2012 – awarded by the Foundation for Science and Technology of the Portuguese Ministry of Education and Science.
In April 1989, I was born in Porto, Portugal, where I spent all my youth and did my undergraduate and master degree.
You may contact me through me (at) ivotimoteo.com
- Bayesian approaches to machine learning.
- Structural inference of graphical models.
- Understanding complex time-series data.
- Design of intelligent tools for scientific research.
- Part of the Artificial Intelligence group at the Computer Laboratory of the University of Cambridge — since October 2012.
- Collaborator at LIACC, Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science Laboratory, University of Porto. Initially an Undergraduate Researcher supported by a BII scholarship of the FCT (Foundation for Science and Technology of the Ministry of Education of Portugal) — since February 2009.
- Guest Member of the Agents group, a research group at the Centre for Intelligent Systems and their Applications within the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh — February 2012 to July 2012.
- Research on Number and Game Theory under the SigMa temática tutor-based Scholarship, Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Porto - From October 2006 to July 2007.
- Lectured Artificial Intelligence II, a part II course of the Computer Science Tripos, University of Cambridge — 2014–15.
- Supervised Matthew Daggitt on his Tripos part II project, a 28 week long project resulting in a dissertation at the end of the computer science undergraduate degree. I congratulate him on achieving strong first honours with his work 'Monte Carlo Tree Search in the domain of Risk' – 2013–14.
- Supervisor (what is this?) of Artificial Intelligence I and Artificial Intelligence II, 2013–15. I have supervised students from Trinity, St John's, Kings, Clare, Emmanuel, Christ, Corpus Christy, Jesus, Selwyn, Peterhouse, Trinity Hall, Gonville and Caius, Robinson and Fitzwilliam colleges, University of Cambridge; as well as an exchange student from Caltech.
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Logic Programming, Artificial Intelligence and Projecto FEUP at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Porto from September 2010 to January 2012.
- Advanced supervision course at the Computer Laboratory. Dr. Andrew Rice — 2014-2015.
- Lecturing course at the Computer Laboratory. Dr. Andrew Rice — 2013-2014.
- Supervising workshop at the Computer Laboratory — 17 January, 2014.
- Supervising and Small Group Teaching (Computer Laboratory). Dr Sue Jackson, University of Cambridge Training — 16 October, 2012.
- Supervising Undergraduates: An Introduction. Dr E.R. Wallach, University of Cambridge Training — 15 October, 2012.
Education and Training
- Master in Informatics and Computing Engineering at the University of Porto.
My master's thesis, Integration of Heterogeneous Hypotheses in Multiagent Learning, was supervised by Professor Eugénio Oliveira (University of Porto) and Dr. Michael Rovatsos (University of Edinburgh). On 12 July 2012, I successfully defended the thesis and it was accepted with a final grade of 19 out of 20 – referred at the page of Dr Luis Nunes, the external examiner, as ''Some of the best MSc thesis I have seen'' (link). During my dissertation work, from 13 February to 27 June 2012, I was a visitor at the Informatics Forum of the University of Edinburgh.
- Voice projection training. Stewart Theobald at the Computer Laboratory — 24 October, 2013.
- An introduction to the writing of Academic English. Dr Rosie Luff, Clare Hall — 20 October, 2012.
My Erdős number is 5!
- Integration of Heterogeneous Hypotheses in Multiagent Learning (graded 19 out of 20). Supervised by Professor Eugénio Oliveira (University of Porto) and Dr. Michael Rovatsos (University of Edinburgh).
- Ivo J. P. M. Timóteo, Miguel R. Araújo, Rosaldo J. F. Rossetti, Eugénio C. Oliveira. Using TraSMAPI for the Assessment of Multi-Agent Traffic Management Solutions. Progress in Artificial Intelligence, Springer.
- Ivo JPM Timoteo, Sean B Holden (2015) Learning Dynamic Systems From Time-series Data – An Application to Gene Regulatory Networks. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Pattern Recognition Applications and Methods (ICPRAM) 2015.
- Timóteo, I.; Araújo, M.; Rossetti, R.; Oliveira, E. (2011) Using TraSMAPI for Developing Multi-Agent Intelligent Traffic Management Solutions. Advances in Practical Applications of Agents and Multiagent Systems, vol.88, Springer.
- Timóteo, I.; Araújo, M.; Rossetti, R.; Oliveira, E. (2010) TraSMAPI: An API Oriented Towards Multi-Agent Systems Real-Time Interaction with Multiple Traffic Simulators. 13th International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, September 19-22, 2010, Madeira Island, Portugal.
Talks and Press Coverage
- Invited speaker at the twentieth anniversary of the Informatics Enginnering Program, University of Porto — November 2014.
- Invited speaker at Transnational Knowledge Networks in Global Science and Technology conference — March 2014.
- Invited speaker at FEUP Alumni@London – Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto alumni meeting in London.
- Invited speaker at Youth Scientists Meeting 2012 and 2013, organized by the Portuguese Youth Science Association.
- Multiple national newspapers on my cycling trip with Guilherme Soares to Japan. Publico, Diário de Notícias, and P3.
- Revista engenharia nº55 (University of Porto Engineering magazine) – Link.
- Revista engenharia nº53 (University of Porto Engineering magazine) – Link to pdf.
- Notícias.up.pt (University of Porto online news magazine) – about the organization of the second Portuguese Graduates Abroad forum. Link to article.
- DEI's newsletter (Department of informatics engineering of the University of Porto) – I was quite proud to have been chosen for the student interview of the Newsletter no. 1. Find a link to the newsletter here.
- RDP international (national portuguese radio) as President of PARSUK. Link to interview.
- Two Merit Scholarships for being a top student at the Faculty of Engineering (awarded to 10 out of ~6000), by the University of Porto, 2009 and 2011.
- South-Western Europe Regional Contest of ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest — Bronze medal, November 2010.
- Portuguese Physics Olympiads — National Champion 2004 and Honorary Mention (forth place) in 2006.
- SigMa Temática Scholarship (4 nationwide) by the Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Porto, 2006.
- Preparation seminars of the IPhO (International Physics Olympiads) Portuguese team (5 students nationwide). Department of Physics of the University of Coimbra — January 2007 to June 2007.
- SigMa temática — Excellency in Mathematics Course (20 students nationwide, 10 months) followed by a tutor-based scholarship (awarded to 4 students nationwide, 10 months). Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Porto — October 2005 to July 2007.
- Portuguese — Native.
- English — Full proficiency.
- Spanish — Advanced speaker and reader; intermediate writer.
- Mandarin — Beginner (currently studying).
- Japanese — Advanced beginner.
- French — Basic.
Training and certification in English
- TOEFL exam, Score: 117/120 — Reading 30/30, Listening 30/30, Speaking 28/30, Writing 29/30, November 2011.
- Certificate of Proficiency in English, Grade B — University of Cambridge, June 2008.
- Certificate in Advanced English, Grade A — University of Cambridge, December 2006.
- EF English Summer School — Oxford, July 2003 and Cambridge, July 2005.
- Fellow of the Cambridge Philosophical Society.
- Computer Laboratory (U. Cambridge) Graduate Students' Forum — Artificial Intelligence group representative.
- Member of the Cambridge University Moral Sciences Club.
- Life member of the Cambridge Union Society.
- July 2015 Jury at the Youth Science Meeting in Faro, Portugal.
- 2013-2014 President of PARSUK – Portuguese Association of Researchers and Students in the UK.
- 2013-2014 Computer Laboratory (U. Cambridge) Graduate Students' Forum — Secretary.
- 2012-2013 Clare Hall college Graduate Student Body — Music committee.
- 2009-2010 Member of the Directing board of the Software Engineering Student Group of the Faculty of Engineering, University of Porto.
- 2008-2009 President of General Assembly of the Portuguese Youth Science Association.